Friday, October 22, 2010

It can't all be about Christmas!

Hey there, I am very pleased that I have followed my friend's advice and been more regular with my blogging, it's very rewarding - especially when my friends read it and send me emails to say how much they like it.

Today I thought I'd move away from the Christmas focus that I have had for the last month and talk about what else I am up to.

Obviously Christmas has been a big deal in my craft world this year and whilst I have been making all of the lovely Christmas things, I have realised that I might need some new tools, so here are some pics of the things I want or have already purchased and why I think they are handy.

Good chalks! These are vital, I had been using some cheaper ones, but the colours weren't lasting as long and so I invested in these Dovecraft ones, that come with a handy applicator tools and lots of applicator pom poms!
Dovecraft Chalks Bright

I do have a slice, I do have a sharp craft knife and a ruler, but nothing beats a good quality trimmer or guillotine and I haven't purchased one yet, but from the research I have been doing it would appear that Purple Cows make the best ones and from what I have seen I think I agree and they are reasonably priced.
Purple Cows 2-1 Laminator + Trimmer or Laminator + paper cutter
Whilst I have had lots of fun sourcing paper, etc, I think that next year (or later on this year!) will be investing in one of these lovely digital kits from Funkyhand - the picture below shows all the papers and stamps that come in their 'All I want for xmas' downloadable kit - they have lots of other kits and I am in love with the Papercraft Factory ones. Basically these equal really good value for money and you can use them over and over again and some of the designs below would be suitable for non-Christmas crafts too!

All I Want For Xmas - Downloadable kit
I have also been stamping quite a lot - not just Christmas cards, but other cards, gift tags, wrapping paper etc. Good quality inks are vital, I am a big fan of Inkadinkado inks - but they are hard to get hold of in the UK (eBay is a crafter's best friend!) I recently bought these chalk inks, they are sublime, they have a really nice blended effect and when they are dry they feel like chalks - cool!
Inkadinkado - Chalk Inks
Also if you are doing a fair amount of stamping, good quality marker pens are a must, now the jury is out on which ones are the best - personally I think it's a toss up between Letraset and Copic. I am using Letraset Aquamarkers right now and they are great, if you buy a 12 pack, you get a blending pen too and you can apply them to stamps. Another good tip for watercolour pencils or other waterbased markers is to use a waterbrush pen (this is a brush, that looks like a pen and you fill the handle with water, ink or colour), you can
then blend or paint over and you will get a watercolour effect.

Letraset AquaMarkers
I think my plan to NOT purchase anything craft related in November is not going to happen!

Have a good weekend - I won't be blogging, I'll be at the theatre with Hubby, building new warddrobes and getting on with Christmas.

Cx



No comments:

Post a Comment

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) commencing 25 May 2018 by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.

Thanks for swinging by and leaving a comment, I appreciate it..I will come and visit you too! IF YOU GET THE I'M NOT A ROBOT COMMENT, IGNORE IT AND CLICK PUBLISH AS NORMAL.
Thanks Cx